Fwd: Hawaiian trade wind P14/15 HP race

GSTahoe@aol.com
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:28:04 EST

--part0_910308485_boundary

Rich--

With a P-15 in 20 knot winds with attendant chop if you where to race three
boats, one with a Honda 2, One with a Tohatsu 3.5 and one with a Honda 5 from
island to island, I'm afraid it would be a dead heat. All three would push
your P-15 at hull speed. If you where to SAIL in the 20 knot winds with the
same competition, the boats with the smaller engines would probably finish
before the boat with the 5 HP due to the extra weight on the transom. That is
not to mention that you would be doing a lot more bouncing due to the weight
being on the stern.

As far as going to another island that is 30 miles away, that is doable with
any of the motors. You are looking at about a 7 hour motor, so if you where
to leave early in the morning, you'd be at the other island by afternoon.
Remember, too, that motoring seven hours in a sailboat is not like driving
seven hours. There's no traffic lights or reasons to have to stare at the
road. You can eat, shmoose, talk, contemplate, talk with the fishys, tan your
hide--whatever you like. I would advise that for a trek that far that you try
to do it with another boat in attendance--sort of like the buddy system, and
make certain that the weather is reasonable and the tides and currents are
with you.

I will say, and this from experience, that a seven hour journey with a noisy
motor can be a job, while one with a quite and smooth power plant can be a
pleasure. You'll get there with any of them though.

I can't believe you live in the islands and waited past your first birthday to
get your sailboat!

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV

--part0_910308485_boundary

SEMS-RPK-PKYN: Rich/RPK-8fa2b106
SEMS-RPK-PKYA: duffy@maui.com,duffy@mauigateway.com
SEMS-RPK-PKYE: 2099/1/1
SEMS-RPK-PKYR: 8fa2b106
SEMS-RPK-PKY1:
IAAADAAAAAAACICALPPPPPAADAAAMAAAAIAAAAAAPCAAAMOJGMNLCBMOIHAMOKBFLELFKFJGOHEFPNGDBLKCKPNPGBNOMPIBDMLLBIHKPIENMBHBACIAOLNAJCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SEMS-RPK-PKY2:
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFEFFFFFAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAFAAAHIIIBNPAJIIIPPDJLALECCPNNMCEMGMCLEGOCHDDGPBKFEMPJOBOGAMDKINBHBGOBPMEIDAOHDLDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SEMS-RPK-VERS: Personal RPK Strong v3.0