keel humming...

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:00:22 -0500

SolarFry@aol.com wrote:

> We used to call it "high speed humming... "
>
> It came from the rudder. (You could feel it shaking) on our fixed keel boat as
> we exceeded hull speed... Oh Oh!

> In a message hlg@pacbell.net (Gordon) writes:
> To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
>
> I don't remember what his speed estimate was but he reported an eerie "tone"
> being generated, by the CB trunk apparently, something he had not heard at
> usual sailing speeds.

Solar Fry, Harry, Web Gang:

If the "tone" that Harry is talking about is the one that I related to him, it
most certainly did NOT come from the rudder. It emanated from the centerboard
trunk, and I heard it when I had the boat mushing up to plane as well as on a very
fat broad reach on Indian River Bay back in 1995.

Also, what gives when I check my mail today and have over 100 messages about how
to edit emails? SolarFry, you need to rest your sore body and come back when
you've kicked the Soma.

I agree with Eric on how to keep things concise and neat. I prefer to excerpt
passages from emails and relate commentary directly underneath them. I don't
reproduce the entire note unless it is necessary. So far, it hasn't happened.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM