P19 winter 1999 modifications

Clair&Edgar (N1122@mail.aai.arco.com)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:05:00 -1000

John Clair & Steve Edgar
Kuparuk Project Engineers

From: Clair&Edgar@ARCO on 11/09/98 04:05 PM HST

To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
cc:
Subject: P19 winter 1999 modifications

OK group,

Time to change subjects from this computer e-mail battle of the NERDS to
the winter season battle over the insane modifications we are planning to
make to our P19's. I am venturing out of the e-mail bunker long enough to
get spotted by the enemy's guns. My list of 1999 winter modifications to
our P19 are as follows:

1) Install the Sealand marine traveler head, purchased last year, into
the port cabinet. (Enclosed Head? see year 2000 conceptual)

2) Install fresh water storage tank under V-Berth with plumbing to supply
cockpit shower

3) Continue installation of bulkheads along length of hull for structural
reinforcement.

4) Move batteries out of starboard cabinet, move forward inside or under
existing porta-potti space.

5) Install ice cooler and dry Ice frozen food chests in starboard
cabinet, or possibly convert starboard cabinet into long seatee with the
coolers located under the seatee.

6) Fill remaining hull to cabin liner voids with expanding floatation
foam

Winter 2000 conceptual modifications;

1) I am still wrestling with this 4'-11" headroom issue. I was reading an
article by Bill Creelock (SP?)( pacific Seacraft designer) regarding pilot
houses, windage, etc. I am not yet finished trying to come up with a way to
achieve full standing headroom in our P19. I am tired of having to get into
spider man configurations each time I've got to pee using the head (peeing
over the bow pulpit is not popular when you have all daughter's onboard at
crowded lakes). With one leg propped up on the keel, one hand hanging onto
the compression post, my head jammed into to the cabin roof corner, the
other leg propped up on the V-Berth, the other hand hanging on to the
starboard cabinet and my wife yelling through the hatch from the cockpit,
"Honey, what's taking you so long?". I am ready to get the skill saw, some
plywood, epoxy and fiberglass out and add one foot to the height inside the
cabin. I have been sketching several concepts, the latest is to add 6" to
the hull freeboard and 6" to the cabin roof (very basic description folks,
obviously more involved than that). Add a Markeel (SP?) bulb to the bottom
of the Keel, revise rigging length. Anyone else planning/thinking about
these types of changes, either the 1999 list or my (GASP!!) 2000 conceptual
list?? Oh yes, in the interest of the Human "bandwidth" factor, please
spare all of us the usual elementary engineering comments about windage,
center of buoyancy, center of gravity, moment arm, etc. etc. I am
interested in correspondence with individuals who are interested in pushing
the envelope of P19 design and what concepts they may be considering.

2) Center console wheel steering

Please, potter purists, be good sports and allow me the standard count to
ten, so I can run back to the safety of my underground bunker before you
begin firing!

: - )

PS. the center mounted Honda 9.9 with twin rudders modifications I made
last winter works great! Did someone say 35 HP and the P19 could get up on
hydrofoils? I don't mind sailing at 4 knots, but when I have to motor at 6
knots, it feels like I am sitting there watching paint dry.

Regards,

John & Terrie

P19 Sassea, #950

Lake Chelan in the summer, In my garage getting chopped up in the winter,
WA