Re: More Receiver hitches

Steven W. Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:40:25 -0800

MR MICHAEL A CANOVA wrote:

> -- [ From: Mike Canova * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> Okay,
>
> We now know that hitches can rust in the receiver.
>
> And we also know how to prevent hitches from rusting in the reciever.
>
> Can anyone tell me what to do now that my hitch IS rusted in the
> reciever? It's stuck pretty tight! HELP!

You can do what I did to get the trailer extension tongue out of the
Capri's trailer. Couldn't budge it, even with a block a tackle and
winch. So I tied the back of the trailer to a light post in the parking
of the launching ramp. To protect it from vehicles and trailers, the
light post, for the lower 4 feet, was concrete and about 3' in
diameter. The trailer was hooked up to the VW bus, so then I got in it
and drove away. I did remember to remove the pin in the
extension/trailer.

After several tries of slamming forward and backing up, I had about 4
feet of line between the pole and trailer, we finally slammed forward
several more feet and the extension ripped out of the trailer and
dragged along the asphault a few feet before I brought us all to a halt.
Then it was several hours of scraping rust off the inside sleeve and
outside extension with a crow bar. Now she slides in and out like a
... Well you know.

You should have seen the expressions on my audiences' faces while all
this was going on.

--
Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.