Re:Minn Kota's Electric trolling motors used on sailboats

SolarFry@aol.com
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 19:25:10 EST

Harry;

Your MK70 should have a sliding collar with screw above the mount. This collar
could be all the way up under the head of the motor (control head). The
collar is used to adjust the amount of shaft or shaft length to water... They
recommend motor and prop be minimum 10" under water.... The lower collar
(theres upper and lower - upper sits on top of lower to keep shaft from
sliding down) with same kinda plastic on metal screw is used to lock motor in
one direction...

Electric Motor power unit weighs in at something like 25lbs on my E50 which
should pose no problem for any transom if lashed down so it does not bounce.

I use a single 130 Amp Hour series 27 battery with 205 min reserve capacity.
I get 2hours at full speed on my E50 and only 1 1/2 on the 65T (36lb thrust).
I have used an additional hour at full speed but only get about 75% power
declining to 50% on the third hour. The battery charger indicates 25% charge
after 3 hours of position 5 (full power) use... I guess since you your batts
are smaller you can only get 2 hrs flat out from your batts. But you might
find that it moves pretty good at slower setting (Flat out to accelerate then
slow down slowly maintaining speed.) and provides longer life out of batt
powr. I find I only need flat out when headed into wind... broadside I only
need position 4 to maintain same speed.

The E50 sucks 40 amps flat out, The 65T(36lb) sucks 36 Amps flat out.

The test of the E50 on the 20' powerboat turned out pretty good, for what I
expected... The E50 pushes the 20' powerboat (with the 130 HP motor up) at
approzimately 4 MPH into a 6 MPH wind.

If I mount the E50 attached to and behind rudder it should push the P19 at
about 5MPH into a 6MPH wind and about 4mph into a 10MPH wind. I do not think
I should use it as the sole source of power if wind is above 10MPH... I could
find myself motoring backwards. Anyway, it will be a month befo I can launch
the P19 and mount the E50 on its rudder on a bracket.

Keep me posted and I will let you know how it goes...

Best
Solar Fry

In a message hlg@pacbell.net (Gordon) write:
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com

SolarFry wrote:

>I took the Endura 50 back and found out it has fixed pulsing without user
>control to extend battery life but does not have the rheostat to vary speed
>infinitely. I guess I'll learn to live with the pulsing. The noise came
from
>extending handle and once it's pulled out all the way noise stops..

Interesting about the pulsing. My handle doesn't extend but is adjustable
up and down. Incidentally, my motor has a 36-inch shaft and the heavy motor
tends to drop too deep in the water when I loosen the lock. I added a cable
clamp on the shaft to limit the down travel, and that helps. For
trailering, I pull the motor all the way up, so that the head extends
forward in the cockpit with the shaft resting on the transom. Thus
counterbalanced and then lashed, there is little stress on the motor mount,
much less than with the Seagull. For sailing, the control head will be just
forward of the transom and will probably necessitate shortening my traveler
wire, but my traveler is longer than the newer ones anyway.

>I love quiet performance of electric motors. The Endura 50 will end up on
my
>P19 for lake and local canal use. It sucks 40 Amps/hr at full power which
>should give me 3 hrs flat out from my 125AMP, 205min reserve battery. So
far
>in actual use I have used it at most 1 hour at position 4 out of 5 and 30
mins
>at position 5 (full power) without discharging the battery by more than 25%
>according to the Minn Kota Batt chge meter.
>
>Wal Mart sells a Minn Kota battery charge checking instrument that is
compact,
>easy to use and very handy for about $ 11.00. They have an offer where you
get
>one free with the 2yr factory extended warranty purchase.

I've seen the MinnKota meter and was hoping my motor would come with one,
but no. I might get one at Walmart or West Marine, but would like a mounted
meter that I can monitor from the cockpit. I haven't wired for lights yet,
but will then have a 12 V panel in the cockpit somewhere.

>With 2 batteries your 70 pounder should give you at least 3 hrs use at full
>power... ( The last hour it does not run as fast, sorta like 75% power. For
>your P15 that should be ample power...

Probably not 3 hours. My batteries are in series and are only 95 Ah. My
motor uses 45 A at 24 V, so should be slightly more than twice the power
and no more duration at max power than yours. The discharge curve is
nonlinear, very steep at high current settings, flatter at low settings. I
don't expect more than 2 hr at full speed, maybe only 1 hr.

>I am going to hook E50 to my 20' 3000# powerboat and see if it will push it
>well. Will let you know.

That makes three boats. Are there more yet?

>Keep me posted on how you do with your 70 pounder.

Will do. It's a nice day today; I should be out in the boat instead of
sitting here writing about boating.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA