Two Stoke Ban at Lake Tahoe

GSTahoe@aol.com
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:15:52 EST

In a message dated 11/16/98 6:34:02 PM Pacific Standard Time, Magico1 writes:

> Geoff, I am looking foreward to the annual Tahoe Potter sail. But I
> didn't realize that the ban on two strokes was to start in June. I was also
> under the impression that there were some loopholes. Like 10 HP. and under
> were exempt. And sailboat kickers are not primary power plants. Please keep
> us informed on the latest news on the ban. I read in the paper today that
the
> Tahoe Planning Commision is coming down hard on P.W C's, I'd like to buy
> those guys a beer!

Jerry,

You can be certain that I will keep you and whomever else is interested, up on
motor restrictions on Lake Tahoe. It is looking as though it would be illegal
to just ban PWC's, so the ban will affect anyone with a small carbuerated two
stroke. This will affect sailors a lot. The most vocal protesters, though,
are the fishermen. I have heard taunts of, "Just let them try to get me off
the lake."

The law is almost a done deal. The problem is, is that there is no
enforcement agency who will take responsibility to enforce the ban. The
Sheriff's Dept. has said that with theft and weirdo's making women tourist's
feel uncomfortable (tourist's spend money--more important than pollution and
destruction of the lake), they have better things to do. The Coast Guard has
said it is not their responsibility. So as it stands now, a law will be
passed in June that has no defined punishment and no enforcement agency saying
they are responsible for enforcement. But it will be law.

Stay tuned for the PWC wars on Tahoe Baywatch.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV