Re: Two stroke ban on Lake Tahoe

GSTahoe@aol.com
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:28:21 EST

In a message dated 11/17/98 2:07:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, B de Ment
writes:

> Getting a hose or pipe in or over a prop with the exhaust in the center will
> be a real hoot!

Bill,

Good point. So, to summarize:

1. The law bans all but injected two strokes, effectively banning PWC's,
small fishing vessels and many sailboats.

1B. BUT, there is no agency with the authority or desire to enforce such a
ban.

2. There will be pollution limits on all engines---

2B. BUT, no one has figured out how or where or by whom this will be done.

PWC's must now stay four times as far away from shore as before, but again,
nobody to enforce. I suppose if a Jetskier where endangering swimmers or in
other ways making a total ass of himself, he would be asked to go further out
by the Sheriff's patrol, who are quite prolific on Lake Tahoe.

The Fish and Game Dept. (Nevada) checks for permits and registration, but has
absolved themselves of all responsibility towards enforcement of these PWC
bans.

Which brings up another interesting point to this three year drama. Lake
Tahoe is almost equally in Nevada and California. Soooo--If a boat is
launched in California, do they have to abide by Nevada pollution
requirements?

There are a ton of loopholes, but I think they will get settled. The bottom
line is that the Lake is definitely suffering from the pollution. No one but
the Personal Watercraft Manufacturers Association thinks this is acceptable.
I truly believe enforcement will come eventually. I have seen PWC's without
current registration get stopped and escorted to a ramp where they where asked
to pull out of the water by Sheriff's patrol. When the Sheriff's boat is
around, the Jetskiers get nervous and you can hear the cry from sailing
vessel's, "Oh, shit! Hide the beer, Mary."

I imagine it would only take a while to drive to another ramp and put the ski
back in. Of course, on most PWC's they don't have to worry about stepping the
mast or doing the rigging.

Again, the date that this all takes effect has already been voted on and
ratified. June 1, 1999.

Geoff
No. Lake Tahoe, NV