Re: Low Tech (knotmeters in particular)

GSTahoe@aol.com
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:25:45 EST

In a message dated 11/24/98 4:53:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
WZeitler@compuserve.com writes:

> My only worry is that in my was-a- Bay- Hen sail boat [_now a motor launch_
> ][ a long story ] ...I worry a bit not to have the long line get into the
> prop. Since the unit is actually designed for sailboats...what can I say
> ? Actually...I'd like to find out more about that " pitot tube " approach

Bill,

Since you've already got so much invested in the Bay Hen, you might want to
really consider a Speedmate knotmeter. It uses a little impeller that
attaches to the bottom of the hull with a transponder attached to the inside
of the hull. There is no through hull drilling or attachments. The Speedmate
is accurate to 1/1000 Knot or Mile per hour, will give you total distance
traveled, max speed and average speed. For those who do a lot of beaching, as
I do, they have the same knotmeter available with a trailing wire impeller.
Just as accurate but you have to toss a little sensor on the end of a long
wire overboard when you are using it. That is what I use and find it
extremely accurate and easy to use. Since I know how far my motor will go on
a tank of gas, it functions to let me know when to refuel as well.

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop

No. Lake Tahoe, NV