Re: Short Rig

Ted Duke (tduke@cfw.com)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:44:24 -0500

--------------186D87974660F925823161F0

Rye Gewalt wrote:

> snip

> Jerry Barrilleaux pointed me to a picture of the short rig on the Minnesota
> Page http://www.foad.org/~elp/waconia98/index.html that I think shows the
> characteristic long boom and short mast.

Looks like mine!

> Now I am in a real quandary about how to rig the boat. I understand that the
> short rig is considered failed experiment on the part of HMS and that the boat
> has a severe weather helm.

Might have, but I haven't recognized it, but then I'm a novice. Most of my
sailing has been in light airs, but the few really heavy winds, like Saturday
certainly did not cause a severe weather helm to my inexperienced hand.

> But I sail on the river and have no real interest in high performance and
> probably wouldn't recognize weather helm if it bit me. I might also consider
> cutting off the weather helm if it wouldn't harm the structural integrity of
> the boat... :-)

You probably don't need to, your boom is already shortened! (bg)

> I wonder how you feel your short rig performs?

I love it, but then, hating to be repetitive he says, I'm a novice. Probably
should ask someone else with a short rig.

snip

Hmmmm... maybe I could just make an wood extension to the present boom.....

UNORTHODOX, but so what, it would work and engender even more comments from the
odd passerby. Might ask if anyone on the net has an extra or check with IMS.

> snip

> Where do you keep your boat?

Home and trailer it or slip at Saunder's Point at Smith Mountain Lake east of
Roanoke.

> I had to look on the map for Fairfield and no big water seems immediately
> evident out there anywhere.

Not big, but adequate.

> Looks like nice country though.

Beautiful.

> And so close to Bucks Hill......grin. I'm an old Wisconsin farm boy and much
> of the Shenandoah valley reminds me of home...

Bucks Hill? Wisconsin?

> Did you buy your boat new or did you just luck into the manual. I'd kill (or
> even pay copying charges etc.) to get a copy of a manual for '90 HMS19.
> Hint....

I bought the boat used. it's a 1990, the manual is a 1988-89, but seems to be
the right one. I will be happy to make a copy and mail it to you, email me
your address and I'll get it copied next week and send it to you.

> Wait a minute! I was looking at the dimensions you have for your stays and
> it would appear that maybe yours don't go all the way to the top. My forstay
> is somewhere around 18'4" (220") and the mast is 15'5" from _cabin top_.
> That's kind of strange.... I wonder if maybe either they were rapidly changing
> rig configurations in '90 or if my boat is even more bastardized than I have
> been finding out the past few days.... This is really getting interesting.
> I have to check my measurements tomorrow.

WAIT! Those measurement were out of the book. I have never measured mine. If
the weather actually ends up being in the high 60's or low 70's I may go sail
Saturday or Sunday and can look at anything you want me to, but I'm not going to
shinny up the mast with a yardstick. <bg>
ewnd of snipping and commenting!

Ted Duke
WWP19 #626
Mountains of Virginia