Re: My kingdom for a shear pin!

GSTahoe@aol.com
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:56:04 EST

In a message dated 11/26/98 4:09:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, hlg@pacbell.net
writes:

> Yet these "modern" engines are breaking shear
> pins right and left!

Whoa there, Harry!

All modern engines are not breaking shear pins left and right. There is a
problem here with this motor and it must be addressed, but to say all modern
engines break shear pins is a little over simplistic. I had a Tohatsu 3.5 for
several years, I now run a Honda 2.5. Had it for several years. I have
never, ever broken a shear pin. I have hit rocks. I have turned the rudder
into the prop, but I have never had a pin break. Shear pins are a safety
mechanism and if they are breaking, there's something wrong. Either something
is bent on the motor, the motor is running too high an idle RPM, the clutch is
not functioning properly or something. The pin will only break when there is
sufficient force to damage the prop or lower drive. If they are breaking all
the time, I would keep a pocket full aboard and find out what is causing them
to break. Putting in a harder metal pin or in any other way circumventing the
shear pin is like by-passing the fuse in your house. It will work, but it is
not a good idea.

As far as the Seagull being advanced, I imagine at the torque of the Seagull,
the spring on the prop should be more than sufficient. A Seagull is very
simple and has little need for too many safety mechanisms. It also pollutes
worse than the Exxon Valdez, pound for pound, makes the owner's crazy
listening to the vibration and noise and may or may not get you home when the
seas, current and winds are against you.

I give you and others who keep older machinery and technology going and going
a ton of credit, but I don't think you honestly feel that modern engines are
less efficient, less dependable and inferior to the older Seagulls, Evinrudes,
etc. Model A Fords and a lot of earlier automobiles where well thought out
and brilliant for their time. They were also worn out by 60,000 miles, had
constant flats, had radiator boil overs and where not much more comfortable
than the horse drawn buggies they replaced. My first car was a '56 Chevy
sedan. I wouldn't trade my air conditioned, electric seats, electric mirrors,
four wheel drive mini van for that Chevy in a zillion years.

Now that I've seen the new Hondas for this year, I am impressed. Technology
keeps going forward.

I agree with you that as far as using an older motor, or for that matter,
sailing an older boat, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would not blame the
problems this gentleman is having on his "modern" engine that keeps breaking
shear pins left and right. My first guess is that the motor is either idling
too high or the clutch is not functioning smoothly. A motor without a clutch,
without a F-N-R and without a shear pin will probably not break quite as many
pins. A bicycle rarely has the starter go out, but it certainly doesn't make
them superior to a BMW.

I hope you are having a pleasant holiday. I had my first day of skiing for
the season today. I am certainly looking forward to the next boating season
in the spring.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV