OB Failure - What to do immediately? (Was Shear Pin Failures)

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:22:52 EST

In a message dated 11/27/98 5:23:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gatorjj@mindspring.com writes:

> The
> problem comes when you expect the motor to work and it doesn't, i.e. push
> off the dock, into the wind, pop the motor in gear and go. When the prop
> doesn't go, the boat ends up on the ramp, shore, another boat, etc. It's
> tough at these times to replace the shear pin.

It seems to me that having a backup strategy for such a situation would be
wise. I recall Harry's and somebody else's e-mail conversation about storing
"points" in the "black box" by having experience, practicing before an
emergency occurs, and thinking ahead. The sailor with a wealth of points in
the black box has more "luck" in a harrowing situation. That's part of
seamanship.

I don't have any practical experience to back up what I'm about to write, but
I bet that having your anchor ready to deploy in a heartbeat at all times
might be one answer. Another would be to have a boat hook readily available.

Any experienced voices out there with something to say to this issue?

Judy Blumhorst, DC
P-19 1985 #266 "Red Wing"
Danville, CA