Re: Fender benders

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:07:05 -0800

John Haley wrote:

> With this sage advice in mind, does boat insurance work like car insurance.
> If I drift my P15 into the gilded hull of a mega yacht would the inurance
> company foot the bill after the deductible. To date, I have not insured my
> boat. It is covered while trailering by car insurance, and cost me too
> little to initially worry about insurance. But now as I invest more time
> into her I am starting to think about it.

Boats with as light a displacement as the P15 are not normally insured
beyond car/trailering/on-the-road insurance, because when they hit the
gilded mega yachts, they are so light that they just bounce off, and the
mega yachts never even know anything happened. Of course this is an
exageration and there are exceptional situations, but this is
essentially what my insurance agent told me. He did recommend that I
insure the Capri 16 because with it's 1350 lbs of momentum, it can do
some damage when it hits. The same probably applies to the P19.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE