Sail plan measurements

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 00:10:56 EST

In a message dated 12/5/98 2:22:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jtietjen@bellsouth.net writes:

> I measured J @ 7'3" P @ 7'8" and E @ 20' 6"
>
> IM obviously measured I as the length of the mast and P as the length of
the
> boom. If you'ld like, I can give you the exact measurements of the
mainsail.
> Hoping to get the boat in the water tomorrow.
>
> Jim Tietjen
> P19 #1015

In a message dated 12/5/98 2:22:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jtietjen@bellsouth.net writes:

> Judith,
>
> I measured J @ 7'3" P @ 7'8" and E @ 20' 6"
>
> IM obviously measured I as the length of the mast and P as the length of
the
> boom. If you'ld like, I can give you the exact measurements of the
mainsail.
> Hoping to get the boat in the water tomorrow.
>
> Jim Tietjen
> P19 #1015
Jim,
I think you switched your numbers around.

Here are the definitions of I, J P, and E: plagiarized by me from Sailrite's
catalog:

"I" - the height of the foretriange, measured from the deck to the highest
useful point on the forward side of the mast. This could be the intersection
of the forestay and the mast or the top of a block if one is mounted above the
forestay. (By pre-IOR rules, this used to be defined as "P")

"J" - the base of the foretriangle, measured from the center of the stay at
the stem on the deck to the front of the mast horizontal to the waterline. (in
simple terms, as if you measured from the forestay to the mast at deck level
and as if the cabin didn't get in the way)

"P" - the hoist" of the mainsail along the mast from the top of the boom to
the halyard block

"E: - The "foot of the sail", measured from the aft face of the mast to the
tightest outhaul setting.

Also, the definition of "LP" is interesting.
"LP" - Luff perpendicular. This measurement is based on "J". It is a line
perpendiclar to the luff measured to the clew. ( A P19 150% Genoa would have
an LP length of 150% of J, the P-19 "Lapper" is a 110% or 115%, and the
"standard" jib is about a 70%. Most boats call a 115% the "working jib" and
the 70% a storm jib, I think.)

So, is your E=7'8" (mainsail foot) and your P=20'6" (hoist of the mainsail)?