RE: Two Stroke Ban

GSTahoe@aol.com
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:40:58 EST

In a message dated 12/20/98 6:38:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, Magico1 writes:

> Hi Geoff, I read in todays paper that the Lake Tahoe Planners aer
> considering exempting small sailboats with two stroke kickers under 10 HP.
> am presently looking into a 5 HP. 4 Stroke for my P.19

Jerry,

I don't think you will have trouble with any four stroke regarding pollution.
They were at one time thinking of exempting the smaller engines such as those
on sailboats and small fishing skiffs, but that is no longer the case. If
anything, the restrictions are getting more restrictive. The only two stroke
exception would be those two strokes that use fuel injection rather than a
carburetor.

The ban goes into effect, barring any other changes, this coming June. It
does not seem as though there is anything that can stop it now. They are
considering not only banning the two strokes, but setting a maximum discharge
level for all motors, large and small. There have been several lawsuits
against the governing body, the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. These
lawsuits have been brought by the marine engine manufacturers association and
local jet ski concessionaires. They have lost all their appeals.

The biggest hurdle that the TRPA is facing now is that there is no one with
the authority or desire to enforce the ban. The Sheriff won't do it. The
Forestry Department won't do it and the TRPA has no enforcement arm of it's
own.

I am sure that if someone wants to get away with violating the ban, they
probably won't have too much of a problem. The problem would be if you were
to haul your boat or PWC clear to Lake Tahoe and got it in the water and all
the sudden the Sheriff's Office decides to start enforcing the ban, you'd be
up the creek without a paddle, or more accurately, out on the lake without a
motor.

After converting my own P-15 to a four stroke, I am glad I was given an excuse
to do so. All the other benefits of the four stroke make my boating a lot
more pleasant and comfortable. It was a big bullet to bite.

Are you looking at a new or used motor? If you're looking at the new ones,
the new Hondas are pretty impressive. They have lot's of cool features. The
price is not particularly one of the cool features. Honda is also making a
big marketing deal out of the new pollution laws. On the new engine shrouds
it says something to the effect that they are compliant with the more
restrictive pollution laws. I am certain that the older Hondas as well as the
other four stroke outboards available will be compliant with any body of water
that accepts motor powered craft.

I can't wait to get out there. This morning it has finally warmed up to two
degrees above zero. I don't think there's a line at the launch ramp today!

Regards,

Geoff
No. Lake Tahoe, NV