Re: Strobes--was More Wiring for Dummies...

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:27:33 -0800

Frankly, this is all becoming very confusing - So far, we have heard that
strobes are used to mark hazards to navigation (beacon) to illegally (?)
mark cruising craft at sea (beacon), to mark the location of dive boats and
gear (beacon), and on man overboard equipment and PFDs (distress).

One thing I find puzzling is that if one goes into a store like West Marine
to buy USCG approved distress indicating equipment they will sell you:
Red/Orange Flares with and without launchers, Red/Orange Smoke, Orange
Flags w/ distress symbol, etc.

It is also said that one reason that the SS California did not come to aid
of the RMS Titanic is because the Titanic was launching white
(communications) flares rather than red (distress) flares (Titanic had no
red flares on board). I realize that this bit of information is very old
and likely to be out of date, but is there still a correlation between the
color of the signal and it's meaning?

Lest you get me all wrong, let it be clear that, personally, I would get close
enough to any strobe, of any color, that I saw in the water to identify what it
was attached to simply because it MAY mean that there is someone in distress.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632