Re: Junk-Rigged Potter

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:29:57 -0800

Gordon wrote:

> On the Potter Yachters web page at <http://songbird.com/py/oldbroch.htm>, I
> just added a clipping from an old Potter Yachter newsletter that describes
> and shows a UK-built D-Type Potter with the optional junk rig. The photo is
> a copy of a copy and I can't tell if the sail is as narrow as it appears or
> if it is just swung out on the far side.

It's interesting to note how far forward that mast is, also. The mast
hole for my lateen rig, being right at the front of the cabin might be
about right, because with my chosen Chinese Lug design, 25% of the sail
is carried forward of the mast. That's probably more than the one in
the picture. A Laser mast is about the right size and would fit in my
lateen mast hole, without the sleeve, since the lower half of the Laser
mast is the same diameter as the sleeve. Hmmm...

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE