Vinyl rubrails

Rich Duffy (duffy@maui.com)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:47:26 -1000

appended to the end of this message) and decided to follow suit.
(My rubrails are a wreck.)

I found that the product Harry described was no longer available by
the foot but could be special ordered (through West Marine) in 50'
or 70' lengths @ 2.76 per foot. Alas, I need only 30' for my P14/15
and I find myself pathologically incapable of spending $55 -- or
$110 on unneeded materials.

Of course, if I bought the 70' length, it could wrap around my boat
plus one other P14/15 or even a P18/19 (or any of the other little
cruisers that seem to frequent this place.)

Anyone interested in divvying up 70 feet? 40' would be $110. 35
would be $96.

Harry's original note (from the SepOct95 archive) to this mailing list
follows

--------

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 22:16:18 -0700
To: wwp@euler.sfasu.edu
From: gordon@best.com (Harry Gordon)
Subject: Re: P-15 Qestions

>Questions;
>
>1: Does the rubber moulding need an adhesive to reinstall afer
>cleaning...it was filthy?

I don't know. I just replaced the mahogany rubrail on my gunter rig
with a
Taco vinyl rub rail from West Marine. The wooden rail was installed
with
stainless self-tapping screws only, no adhesive. It didn't fit closely
and
accumulated debris in the gap. It finally split open. I plugged the old
screw holes with silicone rubber, then installed the vinyl molding,
using a
screw every 6 or 8 inches. The molding I used is quite substantial
and fits
snugly. It's designed to take a tubular insert to fill the groove in the
molding and cover the screw heads. As an option you can use 3-
strand rope
instead "for a decorative but functional alternative."

For anyone who's interested, the material I used is on pg 262 of the
West
Marine catalog: Flexible Vinyl Rub Rail, Molding Style 2, Model
407205.
It's fairly expensive at 2.63/ft. I bought 30 ft of black molding and 30
ft
of 1/2-inch white nylon 3-strand for the insert. You might be able to
use
the Style 3 ok, which is a little smaller and less expensive at 1.86/ft.

The black vinyl shouldn't show dirt like the white one does.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

PS. I wrote Harry a couple days back to ask if he was still happy
with the stuff. He wrote back with a couple of installation tips, and
concluded:

>>I recommend the type rubrail I used. It is substantial without
looking
>>massive. I don't have experience with the smaller size, but it might
be
>>okay.

(I hope I'm not sounding like a tout quoting you here, Harry, I'm just
trying to short-circuit through to the positive comments that you
made that sold me on the stuff.)

Rich Duffy
P-14 #362
Kula, Hawaii