Re: Foam Flotation - Was Customizing the storage area under theliner?

GSTahoe@aol.com
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:34:19 EST

In a message dated 1/6/99 11:00:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, hlg@pacbell.net
writes:

> How about an inflatable or permanently inflated device that runs all the
> way around the boat at the gunwale? It would not only help prevent
> capsizing and turtling but would also eliminate the need for a rub rail and
> fenders. It wouldn't have to be inflatable; it could be made of a flexible
> closed cell foam material.

Another solution would be to buy three P-15's and use two of them as amas, or
outriggers, for the center P-15. You would have additional flotation, more
room and you could put your mother-in-law in the one the farthest away and she
could play Montovani all day while you and your wife enjoy your Jimmy Buffet.

The only problem I cannot figure out, besides paying for this hypothetical
rig, would be trailering it. Perhaps you would separate the amas and trailer
each separately in a sort of chain of trailers. That would certainly attract
attention. Of course, your rigging time would be trebled, so you'd have to
figure on about an hour and a half getting in the water. I think there might
be a few other minor problems, but that would just be fuel to carry on other
endless threads of discussion.

C'mon guys, your boat will float! The only instances (once or twice) I can
remember in the past seven or eight years (my experiance with the Potter) of
boats turning turtle were caused by a centerboard not being down, usually in
conjunction with someone standing up on the cabin top and pulling on the mast
or rigging. For the boat to actually turn turtle, you'd have to pull her over
and have enough loose stuff fall on the cabin top to keep her upside down
(including the C.B.) It is a lot easier to be cautious and careful sailor than
to try to reinvent the little boat that Stanley Smith designed so well and
works so well that changes have been rather minor for many years. Don't let
people stand up and walk around on the boat and wear a PFD while on the
foredeck and enjoy your boat!

On our first Tahoe sail, I saw guys from I.M. sailing in about a 40 MPH very
gusty winds in a P-19, with the rail in the water (a rather inefficient way to
sail, but it looks cool) without getting anywhere near knocking it down. I
tried the same thing in my P-15, but decided to reef. With the wind blowing
and a lot of chop I had to stand up to reef and stumbled across the boom with
my full weight when a wave hit me. I did not come anywhere near knocking
down, but I did manage to put a big rip in the main when I fell on it.
Sailrite fixed that in about a week for about $40.

Soooo, the moral is: Keep your noodles dry and enjoy your Potter!

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV