Re: Painting the bottom

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:10:28 -0800

Tom Bodine wrote:

> From the discussion about florida and bottom paint, I
> see I'll need to do this before I start my trip. What
> is the safest, cheapest way to support the boat while
> painting?
>
> If I got a yard to do it how much should it cost?

Around here, at least on "special," it is $10 per foot at a yard, so
$190 for a P-19. Based on my experience, let them do it. It costs
about $50 for a quart, to begin with. The paint is toxic, heavy, and
very hard to work, as in smooth out, spread around, etc. The stuff is
so heavy and thick that ordinary household sprayers won't handle it. I
tried brushing it on. If you goof and need to sand some hardened drips,
then you've got toxic (copper) dust to contend with. (Me, family, pets,
neighbors breathing toxic dust.) Let them do it. I will next time.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE