Re: Floor/bilge/bilge pump

SolarFry@aol.com
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:50:10 EST

My 1998 P19 has gelcoat on inside of hull by my request.

I kept thinking that the best place for a bilge pump was the fiberglass keel
skeg right under the cabin access steps... But, water seems to want to flow
right to the mast support pole. It must be hygroscopic...

I have my series 27, 1100 cca 205 min reserve capacity battery in center under
the fwd V bunk against foam block. The bilge pump (Rule 800 GPH) and automatic
switch are in front of battery (facing fwd) under the settee in fwd berth. The
settee is located immediately fwd of mast support pole. Bilge pump hose runs
back under berths up to dgrbrd crank and down a foot or so to a plastic drain
hole. Bilge pump seems to drain all water out except for two glasses full. A
manual on off switch is located in cockpit near cabin hatch..

I'm a believer in electric bilge pumps, winches, fans, etc. and totally
agnostic about manual bilge pumps. Pumping away by hand while sinking is not
my cup o tea.

SF, Gatekeeper - Florida Potter Club {;^)
P19 #1028, "Elusive Margin"
BTW: Liquid filled battery is capable of operating bilge pump continuously for
36 hours.