RE: Pulling a P19

Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:50:48 -0600

All:

I just returned to Fargo, ND with a new boat which I picked up in Inglewood
at the factory. Towed it back with a '95 Lumina APV w/3.8 multiport FI.
Could have maintained 50MPH+ on the steepest grades had I pushed it. Route
was I40 to Albuquerque, I25 to I94, just south of Sheridan Wyoming. If you
look on a topo map you'll see that grades out of LA basin, into Flagstaff,
between NM and CO are quite steep. I encountered quite a bit of wind and
ice from Northern NM through Wy. We were comfortable and never feared being
blown off the road. The lumina is by no means a big heavy hauler but was
more than adequate for the job. I believe most any vehicle with a 6
cylinder would do fine towing a WWP-19. Shorter wheelbases may have more
wind problems than longer ones. Just slow down as conditions deteriorate.
Brakes in good condition are a must, but the P19 only weighed half of what
the Lumina is rated for so although I noticed that it took more effort to
stop, I was not riding the edge of braking ability.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Duke [mailto:tedduke@usa.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 5:10 PM
To: West Wight Potter List
Subject: Re: Pulling a P19

Bill,

Bet my comments will get a real argument going!

First, I have nothing against little cars, used to drive VW's, VW
busses, a Toyota, a Subabu etc.

But for towing I prefer something, and for longer distances I prefer
something more comfortable, which I find for ME is a larger truck. I
did a lot of looking around and decided on a Ford F150. Looked at a 6
cylinder, but decided the small V8 was the ticket. I like towing my P19
with it because you don't know it's back there until you start up a
mountain and it will maintain 55 or better on anything I have traversed,
(steep hills and small mountains, Interstate grades) in Virginia and up
to NY on I-81.

If you are towing locally I think a smaller vehicle would do nicely.
For longer distances I would recommend a large pickup.......
...............I am sure there will be disagreement:

as some are content to tow with a Rennault CV. Ever drive one? Now
there was a vehicle. <BG>

Best wishes and good towing!

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626