Re: P14/15 centerboard resting on trailer roller

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:48:24 -0800

Rich Duffy wrote:

> Is there an issue here? Do most folks trailer their P14/15s with the
> CB in place? Are there consequences?

Yes, yes, and yes. I used to let the CB "rest" on part of the trailer
to take the "strain" off the lines, blocks, cleats, screws, etc. that
otherwise support it. Then one day, I hit a big bump or dip, going down
the road, the pivot pin popped out of place and the CB got jammed down
into the trailer, hull etc. I couldn't get it back up to launch, and I
couldn't launch because it wouldn't move off the trailer with the CB
stuck into the trailer. I finally unhooked the trailer from the car,
attached it to the car with long, long lines and lowered the boat &
trailer deep into the water until the boat floated off. Then I had to
take the wood off the top of the CB trunk and do all kinds of jimmying
around to finally get the pin back in place. Since then, I have always
trailered with the CB up, held with it's normal line and cleats, I have
two, cam and jam. It has never been any trouble since.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a WWcaPri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE