Re: Rudder Upgrades and Sailing skills (WAS Re: Cracked bo

William Longyard (longyard@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:30:14 +0000

Judy,
I made a non-kick up rudder out of 1/4 inch aluminum that I salvaged
from a Y-Flyer's centerboard. I used a circular saw and jig saw (both
with wood blades) to cut it to 11 inches deep(top half) 13 inches deep
(wetted half) and 50 inches long. 15% of the wetted area is in front of
the hinge line. The front and rear are rounded over. Aluminum can be
had for considerable savings at scrap metal dealers.
Why did I make it non-kick up? It's my blue-water blade. For rivers
and lakes I'll use the kick-up original.

Bill Longyard
Winston-Salem, NC
SV "Brave Scooter"