Re: Outboard Size for HMS19 (3.5Hp vs 5Hp)

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:17:24 -0500

Rye,

You are a troublemaker, aren't you? Asking a question like that!

Oh well, I'm willing to get blasted so will offer my opinion. I too sail
the inland waters. I'm INexperienced and have learned a few lessons the
hard way.

IMHO I would recommend the 5 hp. I have been on Smith Mountain Lake when I
was glad I had the power to fight the headwind back to the Marina. (Where
did that wind come from anyway, it's usually a lack of wind that troubles
us?). I have been at Buzzards Point ramp on the Potomac across from DC on a
day with very little wind until I was trying to stay away from the very
crowded ramp. Wish I had a 30 HP that day (the damage to both boats was
superficial and the other guy understood that wind and freeboard= unwanted
motion. <bg>!

I have had no experience with a smaller outboard, but friends have told me
they vibrate more and are noiser because you are working them at max.

My 6 HP Johnson has only failed to start on the 1st or 2nd pull twice. Once
the tank was heavy with WATER ---- Vandalism (?) Condensation? The other
time I forgot to reinstall the safety key that I had taken off to make it
harder for someone to steal it (would anyone steal a Potter 19?) (with or
without blisters?).

I suppose a 4 cycle is the way to go unless you can pick up a proven used
motor. This year I used approximately 1 gallon of gas/oil mix, so am not
planning to replace it with a 4-cycle.

In summary IMHO you will be happier with a larger (within reason) motor.
You can get by with less.

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Mountains of Virginia

P. S. Still love my Potter and am chilling out about blisters as I read up
and figure best course of action. Thanks to all for your comments.