CB Trunks - HMS18 vs P19

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:08:32 EST

oldbandito@citlink.net writes:

> Hamada's mast compression post rests on the daggerboard trunk at the forward
> end.

I have noticed that the HMS18 have much thicker and longer (from front to
back) CB trunks than the P19s. It was built on a separate mold of layers of
foberglass and plywood and then tabbed onto the hull, complete with knee
braces to prevent any lateral flexion. The HMS18s like Dik's #18 and Jerry's
#48 have the compression post on top of this massive and long enough trunk.
They also have very pretty 3/4" wood piece on the top of the CB. Like the
rest of the HMS, the trunk is built like a tank.

Newer P19s like my #266 have trunks that are less thick and shorter from front
to back and the compression post goes all the way down to the hull. The
trunks were built on the same mold as the hull, and have no plywood or knee
braces. The walls are approximately 1/2" thick fiberglass (at least on my
#266) and would not support the compression post. On these boats, it's better
that the post goes right down to the hull.

Judith Blumhorst. DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP-19 #266 "Red Wing"
SF Bay, CA