Re: P19 Electrical System

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 17:55:22 -0500

James,

I'm NOT an EE, but have had extensive experience with lights NOT working on
various things from Model A Fords to trailers (but fortunately not my
Potter, they work!). Whatever vehicle, boat or object you have lights on
you must provide a GOOD ground back to the BATTERY. If it's a steel
contraption, you can ground to the frame (trailer, steel vessel, auto).
Trailers must ALSO be grounded to the tow vehicle. Your boat, being
non-metallic needs a wire from each device back to the battery. Some boats
have a Ground Wire that all devices attach to and it goes to battery. I
have heard that the recommended way is to have a separate ground for each
device.

Bottom LINE. CHECK YOUR GROUND. If the bulbs are good and the hot wire is
hooked up and the ground is good (ant the FUSE is good) you should have
lights. In my experience I have seldom had a bad power connection but often
had bad grounds.

Ted