Re: Charging from OBand more

George Sweet (georges@carol.net)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:45:40 -0500

From: John Haley <haley@sgenaa.cc.geneseo.edu>
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 10:29 AM
Subject: Charging from OB

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>John,
I have a Nissan 8hp with electric start and generator. It seems to do the
job well for me. I have a group 24 gel cell and a group 27 wet cell
connected to a battery switch in the cabinet under the stove. From the
switch I ran +& - leads to under the aftmost portion of the port coaming.
All leads (wires) are 4 gauge marine grade tinned wire. These are huge and
overkill but I did not want any loss of power due to resistence, as I had
called Nissan US in Texas and was told by a Tech rep that (off the top his
head--"he didn't know") at best I could expect only 2/10ths of an amp for
charging batterys.
I installed a electric trolling moter plug recepticle through the port
coaming just forward of the aft cleat and installed the male plug to the
wires coming off the moter. This allows not only the connection of the
Nissan but also should I chose, connection of a electric trolling moter.
RESULTS: When cruising I conserve power but still run Boom
Box,GPS,VHFRadio,and lights. Running the Nissan approx. two hours a day
seems to keep up with consumption. I think (and have no data to support
this) that the Nissan is probably putting out closer to 2 amps. Thanks to
Solar Fry for the info 13.8 volt upper limit info as the reason I called
Nissan was I was afraid of cooking my Gel-Cell with too much voltage.
Question: Anyone know for sure Max Amp output for a Nissan 8?
The little generator from Chicago Electric sold by harbor freight looks like
something I need, but again I'm afraid of cooking my gel cell . Anyone have
info on it?