Re: 14' Potter Centerboard Questions

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:30:35 -0800

Kerrie,

You may want to compare your centerboard with the drawing at:
http://www.lesbois.com/wwpotter/specifications/center_plate.htm

I have a Mk II Potter and the slot is a different shape (more vertical)
but, other than that, the dwg is pretty accurate.

It may be that the slot has gotten too small due to an accumulation of rust
and this is not allowing the centerboard to fully engage. I had similar
problem with the opposite effect - As the slot rusted and clogged up, I
couldn't get the centerboard out so that I could refinish it.

Another good habit is not to leave the centerboard line loose. After
lowering the board (and some folks don't even lower it all the way), take
up all the slack in the line and cleat it off - this will discourage the
board from coming off the pin, even if you strike something. I'm ashamed to
admit I've struck bottom several times now, and the board has always
returned correctly.

The previous owner of my boat warned me against lowering the board down by
just letting go the rope - he said he had lost it off the pin that way and
had a hell of a time getting it back up. The wood on top of the cb trunk
has been patched up w/ epoxy where the hardware on the cb had dug some big
gouges, similar to what you described. I'm in the process of making a new
mahogany one....

Hope this helps,

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 "Tilly Lucy"