Re: Electric Motor for WWP 15

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:05:59 -0800

Gianpiero,

Congratulations on the new boat!

I have a 32 lb. thrust Minnkota that I bought at Wal-Mart for $90 and
it works fine. It has the 30" shaft which keeps the motor control just
above the transom during use. Although that is nice, the motor has to
be slid up (there's a clamp for this) before it can be tilted forward
during sailing. The 36" shaft would avoid that.

I estimate that it will move the P-15 at about 3 knots on flat water.
If you want to make hull speed you'll need a "Harry Gordon" style
electric installation or a gasoline powered outboard

One thing that doesn't get much discussion here on the Potter list is
paddles - that may be since most of the banter involves the P-19. My
experience is that skipper and crew together can paddle a P-15 just
about as fast as the Minn-kota can push it. For some of the little
maneuvers associated with ramps and docks, lately we've been ignoring
propeller power of either the gas or electric variety, and getting
some exercise instead.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 "Tilly Lucy"
Palo Alto, CA

Subject: Electric Motor for WWP 15
Author: Non-HP-GForcina (GForcina@aol.com) at hp-boise,mimegw7
Date: 2/10/99 5:05 PM

Dear Members,

I recently purchased a WWP 15, new from the factory (the boat still has not
left my garage). I am considering the purchase of an elctric motor as
auxiliary power for the boat. I narrowed down my search to two companies,
Motorguide and Minnkota.
I need suggestions and advice on a few topics. Here they are:
1) Is there any other company that I should consider
2) Any opinion on pros and cons of the two manufacturers
3) What shaft length should I consider, 30" or 36"
4) I think I need 30 to 40 lbs of thrust. Is this correct?
5) I anyone familiar with the advantages of "Pulse Width Modulation" for speed
control (available on some models for a cost)
6) Any other comment of the merits and demerits of elctric motors for the
WWP15

I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks.
G.Forcina
Gforcina@aol.com