RE: Alternate anchor for P-19

Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:59:05 -0600

There is an extensive review of anchors in a recent "Practical Sailor". I
don't want to blatently violate copyright laws by scanning the whole thing
and sending that around, but I will summarize that study for the group by
putting together a table and sending it in the next couple of days.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Grimes [mailto:tgrimes@gw.bsu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 1999 4:48 PM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Alternate anchor for P-19

Hi, you guys and gals with P-19's

Some of you are equipping your P-19's for cruising---one suggestion
that I have read often is that you should have more than one anchor,
and that they should be of different kinds so that you will have a
better chance of anchoring securely no matter what the bottom is like.
My guess is that almost everyone's first anchor is a Danforth type.

Up until very recently all other types of anchors have been very much
more expensive. Recently (so I've heard) the Bruce pattent has run
out, so Bruce-type anchors are being made without the Bruce name and
for a much lower price. West Marine, in their 1999 Master Catalog,
lists a "Simpson Lawrence Horizon Claw Anchor," 11 lb, boat size
17'-23', model 286230 SIMLA # HKG 91-3005, SwWt 13 lb $41.99. In the
picture it is identical with the Bruce anchor shown on the same page.
(Sorry, but after copying down all of the above information I forgot
to write down the page number).

I believe that I have seen that anchor listed in West Marine's sale
catalogs last fall for $39.

Like all plow anchors, the Bruce-type is an awkwardly shaped thing.
You'll also need an anchor roller to rest it on, on the bow.
I have never used a Bruce, but I've heard good things about them.

Regards

Tom Grimes
P-14 #363 Far Horizon
Muncie, Indiana