Re: Alternate anchor for P-19

George Sweet (georges@carol.net)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:17:23 -0500

From: Tiffany, Doug <TiffanyD@phibred.com>
To: 'Thomas Grimes' <tgrimes@gw.bsu.edu>; wwpotter@tscnet.com
<wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 1999 6:05 PM

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Doug,
Start by looking at what your needs are. What type bottom do you expect to
encounter? For East Coast coastal cruising I carry a Danforth hi-tensil, a
cheap Danforth knock off, and Big Ugly. Big Ugly is a cheap two peice cast
Iron Navy Anchor look-alike that can be found at K-Marts Wal-Marts and other
fine chandlerys. It has cheap silver paint that is supposed to make it look
galvanized . I think I paid around $13 cash American for it. I figured if I
lost it it would be no biggie. It has proven to be quite an anchor. Holds
well in a wide variety of bottoms. I have secretly wished to lose it. Its
HEAVY, and likes to hurt people, smashes fingers and toes, skins shins with
its "velvet smooth" finish. I would however buy another if I did.
For inland lakes:: we take the Danforth knockoff and a Crab Claw. Crab
Claws can be found at the Wal and K Mart chandlerys. They are color coded,
the blue that I have weighs in at around 13#, the black is 18#. I attached
100 ft of rode with a LARGE shackle and stuffed the whole business into one
of those collapsable canvas buckets and shove it under the stairs. It make a
great lunch hook. Hope this helps. Will anyone eles own up to owning
crummy anchors that work???? Surely someone eles has an ULGY anchor.

I have 5 days off and the weather which was in the mid to upper 60's and
beautiful has gone to the 40's and rain with a chance of sleet tonight.
This must be the coldest most horrid weather in the country.........(pause)
(pause) I SAY this must be the coldest most horrid weather in the
country!!!?? ?

George Sweet
P19-Sea Dove
Greenville SC