Re: Penny-pinching Potter-ers - Sailboat prep expenses

SolarFry@aol.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:11:05 EST

In a message dated 3/1/99 1:16:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, JBlumhorst@aol.com
writes:

<< Subj: Re: Penny-pinching Potter-ers
Date: 3/1/99 1:16:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: JBlumhorst@aol.com
To: SolarFry@aol.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com

Solar Fry,

How did you manage to spend so much?!? I can rebuild a whole boat with new
sails and all new standing and running rigging for $3000! You must be
including the wetbar with frig, tv, chartplotter and autopilot you installed!
<g>

Best,
Judy B

In a message dated 3/1/99 9:01:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, SolarFry@aol.com
writes:

> << Sorry Judy, but $3000 must be the magic number for P-19 retros. I
didn't
> > know how much you had spent on Redwing, but was quoting the amount
that
> > heard Maurice spent on his "new" P-19 to get it "Bay" ready. >>
>
> GEt it bay ready? Heck I've spent close to 3,000 just to get it to my
dock
> in
> my backyard. Bottom Paint, mast raising system (a lunatic must of come up
> with
> the position for fulcrum (gin) pole, blocks, tackle, sail stuff, Non
> operational/defective new electronics. etc. Without counting the trips to
> buy
> or return most of the junk. How do I know exactly? I log every expense by
> where in my Quicken checking account.
>
> I guess it must take 3K to get any sailboat ready for use. I only spent
500
> on my powerboat and it was ready. Sailboats must be more expensive...
It's
> the sailing stuff!

Sailboat add ons...

Depth finder 200
mrs fulcrum gin pole 60
asstd blocks 50
Garhauer fiddle blks (great stuff) 52
Electric motor MK Endura 50 200
epoxy to reinforce battery spot. 100
battery 70
Batt chgr 50
mini stays (ruined 2) 40
VHF 150
GPS 150
addl cabin lights and wiring 50
Fenders/more line 100
Anchor + rhode 100
REch Batteries/chgr for gps/vhf 100
Bottom paint 400
Trailer mods (guide bunks,etc.) 200
Alum Boarding ladder 55
Mooring whips 285
Harken ratcheting fiddle block 80
Voltmeter 20
Sheets for berths 60
Vinyl stay/shroud covers 10
Experimental gin pole 20
Bilge pump 30
Bilge pump auto switch 22
Vinyl lifetime hose 15
screens 25
stereo 125
voltmeter 30
wires 25
fuse panel 30
mainsail cover 170
and it goes on and on...

Funds expended on powrboat for last 3 yrs.
VHF 180
Antennae 50
FM Stereo/spkrs. 200
8' Bimini 300