Re: unbalanced sheet

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:35:17 EST

medin003@maroon.tc.umn.edu writes:

> Is there actually an unbalanced sheet with the old P19 main-sheet
> rigging? It seems to me that there is only one movable "pulley" on
> either tack. Consequently, this system produces a 2/1 advantage.

Hi Tom,
The mechancal advandtage is 2:1, no matter which side the boom is on, as you
note.
However, if the mainsheet length is held constant, the boom swings further
outboard to one side than the other with the "unbalanced" setup. When you
tack from one side to the other, you have to trim the mainsheet to hold a
course thats symmetric to the wind direction on both starboard and port tack .

It's much smoother to tack if you don't have to adjust the mainsheet to
account for the asymetry of the way the lines are run through the blocks. You
can hold your pseed thorugh the tack, especiallly in chop.

Hope that's a clear explanation.

Judy B