Penny-pinching Potter-ers - Sailboat prep expenses - Genoa prices?

SolarFry@aol.com
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:01:19 EST

In a message dated 3/2/99 10:08:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, gwelker@erols.com
writes:

<< Subj: Re: Penny-pinching Potter-ers - Sailboat prep expenses
Date: 3/2/99 10:08:30 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: gwelker@erols.com (Gregory D. Welker)
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com

Hmmm. Just as an excercise, I've put my costs for similiar items after the
"/". Shopping, scounging, and build it yourself saves money.

At 06:11 PM 3/2/99 EST, SolarFry@aol.com wrote:

>Sailboat add ons...
>
>asstd. blocks 50/38
>epoxy to reinforce battery spot. 100
(are you sure you used $100 worth of epoxy for this?
That's about 1.5 gallons)
>VHF 150/190
(waterproof submersible handheld)
>GPS 150/64 (bought a compass)
>Fenders/more line 100/ Fenders: 2@$11. Dock lines: 27
>Anchor + rhode 100/72, with 150 ft of rhode
>Trailer mods (guide bunks,etc.) 200/95 +/- (can't find a receipt)
>Alum Boarding ladder 55/ 48
>Bilge pump (Rule 800) 30/26
>screens 25/12
>mainsail cover 170/40 (includes jib sail bag)
>and it goes on and on...

Greg Welker

Current Designs Pisces
CLC Cape Charles Modified
West Wight Potter P-19 #448

Prices shown are either Boat US/West Marine or Wal mart when possible.

That was a finished Harken blue sunbrella sail cover with zipper and tie downs
at Boat US. $169.95 plus sales tax = $180.15 total. I looked at Sailrite and
theirs is close to 91 for a kit + tax, shipping, etc. if I remember correctly.

I use trailer from my 20' powerboat for Potter also.
My wife won't let me have two trailers...

Trailer mods
Full side guide bunks 110 w tax at BOW (130 at WM)
Addl cross beam, upright bow stop beam/ubolts 50
second cross member to support bow/u bolts 35
rubber bow stop 8

Epoxy to reinforce battery spot...
Under Bow berth Battery Support installation.
(hull side to hull side reinforcement)
20 Oz woven roving $ 15
8 Oz woven roving 10
3M Vinylester resin 2 qts 60
Marine Tex for wedgies 16
Battery base 10
Sandpaper 3
Scraper 3

Fenders
De fender hole thru middle 12" fender for piling $58.29 w tax
De fender hole thru middle 10" fender for boat 42.00 + tax
2 Wal Mart large fenders 20.00 + tax
The 12'" fender has saved the bumper strip from getting bashed
in by strong gusts 100 of times so far. It's getting squished reg
right this minute by 30 mph gusts pushing boat against pile. The
Heavy duty mooring whips are not enough when it get gusty.

Due you include sales tax in your costs? I do.

Due to condition of fingers/right shoulder arm I am unable to do precision
work. So, building anything requiring precision (like canvas work) is out of
the question. I was succesful installing sail slugs with SS thimbles cause it
was easy. I think if I tried making a headsail it would look real ugly...
Probably end up sailing backwards.

We definitely need a web site with an FAQ of best prices
(Hey Judy... ????) to get items such as:

Sails
Jibs
Lappers
Genoas (150%)
Drifters (160 - 180%)
Sail covers
Hardware
VHF's
GPS's
Antennae's (These can run 150 bucks)

We also need a way to hoist a drifter over CDI luff tape (when a sail is not
in the tape) without using cdi track.

I've been getting quotes of $ 600+ for a 1.5 oz ripstop nylon 150 % Genoa
without UV strip, with CDI tape luff and 4 colors (Blue, red, green and
yellow). Anyone know of a cheap loft with reasonable quality colorful genoas?
Before I go blow 600 bucks for a Hood/North Genoa or buy the IM one for 415?

I imagine if we all got together and approached a loft we could all save about
25 to 50% on sails and sail stuff like mainsail covers, Biminis, etc. What you
all think?

Best
Solar Fry
P19 # 1028, "Elusive Margin"