Re: Genoa sail prices

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 04:37:52 EST

In a message dated 3/6/99 8:03:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, SolarFry@aol.com
writes:

> The 5 oz genny is rated for a maxumum applicable wind of 25 knots.
> Even though this is higher wind than I would use a genny in, the sailmaker
> recommended it for durability over the 4 oz. In fact, Cruising Direct
> doesn't
> even make a genny out of cloth lighter than 5 oz. The cost for a genny
out
> of
> 5 oz 5400 dacron is $2.65 in the 100-300 square foot range. The P19 genny
> is
> about 113 square feet. $2.65 x 113 = $306. (you will need to provide
> exact
> & J measurements to CD before they make your sail.) This includes the
luff
> tape for a CDI or hanks and a sail bag.
>
> There is a minimum charge of $300 for any sail, so the smaller lapper or
> storm
> jib would both be $300.
>
> The UV cover adds 15% , hence the price of $46. In December, quoted price
> was
> good for delivery within 2-3 months.

Hi SF

The web site for cruising direct is http://cd.northsails.com/intro.htm. You
can order their booklet on line there with all the current pricing info. but
if you call Steve Gilbert, he''ll send it to you with an estimated quote.

The Norlam 3.2 fabric from Cruising Direct is more expensive and equivalent to
or less stretchy than the 5 oz dacron.

The 3200 series genoas made of 3.2 oz Norlam was $3.25/square foot last
december, and formerly was quoted for a 200-350 square foot sail with a 200
square foot minimum. 200 x $3.25 = $650 minimum. Maybe they'll build you one
at 113 square feet. 113 X 3.25 = $367 + $55 for the UV edge, for a total of
$422 plus $46 shipping.

The 4.5 oz Norlam (4500 series) was $3.75 per square foot and was quoted for
genoas in the 351 to 550 square foot range.

According to North sails webpage "North's Soft NorLam™, a sandwich of Mylar
film surrounded by polyester fabric on both sides, is lighter and stretches
less than traditional polyester, yet is soft and comfortable to handle and
especially well suited to furling genoas." The webpage can be found at

http://www.northsails.com/North_America/Cruising_Sails/soft_norlam_spectra.htm

I would ask the sail consultant at North if the Norlam lasts as long as 5400
Dacron, since many of the laminates are not as UV stable as dacron. However,
since Norlam is a new generation "sandwich" of mylar between two pieces of
polyester, it may in fact be just as UV stable. I'd also ask about folding
the sail, since many of the laminates cannot be folded without damaging the
fabric.

Best,
Judy