Re: Genoa sail prices

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:24:09 EST

In a message dated 3/7/99 12:13:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, cgula@innet.com
writes:

> Greetings, Judy, et al:
> Unless North has changed their nomenclature since 94, what you are
> describing as a "gennaker" is a "drifter". My Cal 36 North Gennaker was an
> assymetrical spinnaker. The drifter from the same loft, had a wire luff,
no
> hanks, 1.5 nylon, 160%LP, high clew, full cut, was usable from close reach
> to a run, and fit your description below exactly. The drifter is gybed
> exactly like a genoa. You describe the correct method for gybing an
> assymetrical spinnaker, except that usually the tack is attached to an
> adjustable line rather than the boat. Easing the tack line first makes the
> manuever easier. Also, assymetrical spinnakers require a swivel at the
> head, since they turn inside out as they change sides. Further, tacking an
> assymetrical spinnaker is foolhardy. You can easily tack a drifter. We
> usually flew the drifter in light air races such as the Newport-Ensenada in
> combination with a nylon staysail in a modified cutter configuration. By
> sailing higher, we were able to generate enough apparent wind to keep
moving
> even when more sled like hull forms couldn't keep a spinnaker full.
> Assymetrical spinnakers were illegal in PHRF then.
> For my P19, I was able to get a great deal on a used Doyle assymetrical
> spinnaker, and it provides a fast stable ride downwind. My next experiment
> is to try to rig a pivoting pole at the bow, to move the tack some 4 feet
> out to winward and thus improve performance on a dead run.
> Regards,
> Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP19#804, Aripeka, FL

Hi Mac et al,

I'm not sure what this thing that Cruising Direct North calls a Gennaker is.
I think it's the same thing as a cruising spinnaker or an asymetric spinnaler.

My description wasn't too good. I got my info from the Crusing Driect order
broachure. You are right about how it attaches -- it attaches to the
spinnaler halyard and an adjustable tack line which can be eased. There is no
wire in the luff. You run the sheets in front of the headstay and you gybe
it the way I described, with the sail rotating around in front of the
headstay.

There is a description of the NeilPryde Cruising Spinnaker online which is
very similar (but much more detailed) to the CD North brochure information.
You can find it at <A HREF="http://www.paw.com/sail/neilpryde/cs_trim.htm">
Setting and Trimming the Cruising Spinnaker</A>

That should clear up the confusion from my earlier description.

Regards,
Judy B