Re: Cam, Clam, Jam, and clutch.

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:16:38 EST

Richard.Dickerson@TTMC.TTUHSC.EDU writes:

> Judy, I am probably showing my ignorance here but wouldn't you want the
> cleat to be the weakest part of the system? It seems to me that the
working
> strength of the halyard, splice, and shackle is less than 500 lb.. IT
would
> seem that the last thing you would want to happen on a cruise is loose the
> sail to halyard connection with no way to reconnect it without unstepping
> your mast. Worse still would be pulling the attachment of the block out of
> the mast. Mine is held by two 3/16" pop rivets. By the way, all my
> halyards on the P-15 are 1/4" and pass through harken cam cleats.
> Regards
> > ----------

Hi Dik,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Perhaps you could rephrase it.

Everything on my P19 main halyard rig is rated for 500 # SWL or better.
According to the rigger, 500 pounds should be plenty of safety margin for the
P19, (taking into account the turning angles, which can greatly change the
load factors)

I don't have any pop rivets holding any blocks anywhere on my mast and I'm not
sure where the pop rivets you mention are on your rig.

My main halyard is Vizzion (vectran) which is super strong (much stronger than
500#), very-low-stretch, and doesn't absorb water. At the head of my mast,
the halyard passes through two strong sheaves. At the bottom, it passes
though a turning block rated for 500# (Harken #183 block), with a turning
angle less than 90 degrees. The Harken #183 is attached with an appropriately
selected shackle to the mast-step plate which is just plain huge for a boat
the size of the P19. From there it goes to a horn cleat (at least until I
finish the rest of the installation, with the right deck organizers and
clutches)

Best,
Judy