FW: Potters on Freighters

Bill Combs (ttursine@gnt.net)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:11:17 -0500

----------
From: "Bill Combs" <ttursine@gnt.net>
To: oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Potters on Freighters
Date: Thu, Mar 11, 1999, 2:43 PM

> From the port of LA to the port of Tokyo, it
> costs $2,250 to ship "anything," regardless of weight, in a container,
> 7' by 7' by 20'.

One day while power-loafing in Marsh Harbor, I stumbled upon the idea
of containerized Pottering as the solution to a lack of time problem
regarding getting down under to the America's Cup and Olympics. The
concept was to so ship Ursa on her trailer to Australia, do the
Olympics, buy a junk truck, and trailer sail the length of the Great
Barrier Reef (and wherever else) for a year or so -- in whatever order
seemed best. Hopefully, this could get started in time to bum a ride
to the America's Cup zoo in NZ. If government regs permit, the final
step would be to sell Ursa and her trailer to some lucky Aussie before
flying back to the States to procure the "big" (p'haps as small as a
Flicka?) boat for wider ranging cruising.

An entertaining idea I thought, but one never even researched further
as easier adventures intervened. Nonetheless, I am surprised at the
container sizes you discovered. My "shipping consultants" (amazing the
variety of folks you can find around marina bars on tropical islands!)
were guessing at <$2500 for a 20' container but thought the cross
section was an 8' square rather than 7'. The smaller size kind of
invalidates the whole concept.

Bummer.

Regards,

Bill Combs