Re: Nuclear Medicine and Cardiac Catheterization - Recommendation

Phlzfan (Phlzfan@desupernet.net)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:12:32 -0500

I'm not a cardiologist and am almost never an apologist for the medical
profession, but it seems reasonable to make a few comments:
1. I'm assuming that Solar Fry underwent a so-called Stress Thallium test
wherein radioactive material is injected and the heart scanned with a kind of
geiger counter (Gamma Camera) during and after exercise to determine whether or
not blood flow to all parts of the heart is equal. This test is useful if it is
perfectly normal but is not so helpful if the flow is not scanned as being uniform
over the entire heart. It is designed to have few or no "false negatives" (i.e.
tests that show normalcy where there is actually blockage) at the expense of more
than a few "false positives" (tests that show impaired flow where there is NO
blockage). Thus, occurrence such as that described by SF are not rare (i. e.
Abnormal Stress Thallium normal catheterization).
2. Getting an insurance company (or Medicare) to pay for the second study would
be nearly impossible and one could buy a very fine used sailboat for the cost of
the test..
3. There are other indirect tests of coronary blood flow (e.g. Dobutamine or
stress echocardiogram) that might help to clarify nuclear false positives.
4. Cardiac catheterization is often 'way over utilized.
5. Pottering is definitely a much better way to spend an afternoon than being
in the cath lab.
6. Careful communication of symptoms to a carefully listening physician is
still the best diagnostic tool.
7. The centerboard on a P-15 will keep you awake ALL night.

Scott Paist, M. D.
TUMP P-15
Lancaster, PA