Re: Cockpit Clutter / Big Boat Fever

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:33:22 EST

In a message dated 3/23/99 6:09:16 AM Pacific Standard Time, rpa@intrinsix.com
writes:

> I am planning to use Spinlock PX rope clutches for the halyards.
> We checked these out at the Hartford CT show last weekend. They
> are like a cross between a cam cleat and a true rope clutch. The
> can be cleated and uncleated using the line like a cam cleat but
> don't require a fairlead. They are slick!

Greetings Rich and Webgang,

I'm planning on using the Spinlock PX clutches on my P19, Redwing, but not for
the main halyard, just for the other lines. They come in two sizes. The
little ones (PX 406) have a working load of 140 pounds, and the larger one (I
forget the part number) has a working load of 200 pounds. The smaller
Spinlock holds a small diameter line (up to 5/16, I think, not sure), while
the larger clutch will handle a slightly larger diameter line. If I remember
correctly, the Spinlock website says the larger one is designed for holding
halyards on small boats.

The larger is probably just fine (in my non-expert opinion) for a P15 main
halyard, but my rigger recommended against using it for my P19 main halyard.
He said he wasn't confident it would hold the load in heavy wind on San
Francisco Bay (like 40 mph, at which point I will be heading for home <g>).
Just to be sure, I'd ask a rigger about the advisability of using it on the
P15.

The spinlock PX series mini-clutches are neat. They allow controlled easing
or tightening of the line and you can use them with a winch. They allow for
about 15-20 degrees of line deflection on the incoming side, just like a rope
clutch. They also allow for line deflection on the bitter end, so you can run
them to a non-dedicated winch if you want. They release only if you pull them
45 degrees straight up or lift the lever. You can tighten the line without
releasing the lever since they have a roller mechanism inside that doesn't
abrade your lines as much as a camcleat. They have a smaller footprint than a
camcleat with fairlead. They look really cool too, like itty-bitty clutches,
and have little plastic color code tabs that you can snap in to match your
line colors -- which makes it easier to remember which line goes where.

They cost just a few dollars more than the camcleat with fairlead that IM puts
on the newer P-19's for raising the mast -- Harken #150 camcleat with a #328
wide angle fairlead, which has a working load of 300# MWL. I paid $54 at
Svendson's Marina for a two pack of the small PX 406's. Sold singlely, I
think they were about $30 each.

Regards,
Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP-19 #266 Redwing
(Rigged so a petite woman can solo)
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm">Judy B's
West Wight Potter Pages</A>
and <A HREF="http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/">The Official Web Site of the
Potter Yachters</A>