Re: Geniuses are among us

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:55:30 -0800

Dennis W. Farrell wrote:

> I believe that we as a group _must_ acknowledge the genius of Steve Barnes,
> Harry Gordon, and Lars Mulford. (alphabetic order, not necessarily
> precedence order).
>
> For those who might entertain even the _slightest_ doubt, let me invite you
> to visit
> http://www.hssrig.com

I think that order is ok. That crab claw is a fascinating rig. Thanks
for the tip. I can see an easy modification of a lateen rig, using the
same spars. It does have a lot of similarities with the lateen rig, and
some differences. I don't know if the lateen rig uses that vortex lift,
or not. Incidentally, some research says that the Chinese lug rig uses
that vortex lift funneled along each sail section between those
relatively large, full length, battens. Now I see two more rigs
experiments with Popeye, if I don't sell her. I could go either way on
that, too. Hmm...

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE