Re: Just Curious?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:01:40 EST

In a message dated 3/28/99 11:38:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, SR500F@aol.com
writes:

<< > Farallons? Golden Gate? Cripes!, It was blowing hard enough on the Bay on
> Saturday that we ventured out the Redwood City channel only under reefed
main
> and jib. When we rounded the end of Bair Island and starting smacking into
> the chop of the Bay proper, heeled over, spray flying..... We probably
could
> have continued under reefed main alone, but , frankly, I'm 46 years old, I
> have limited stamina, and the boat is a more capable sailor than I am. It
> could probably go to the Farallons but it will have to do so without me
when
> it's blowing like it did on Saturday (I'm a lousy estimator of wind speed,
> but I'd guess it was blowing 20-30 knots, maybe one of the others who were
> there can give a more accurate number). My entire upper body is still sore
> from wrestilng with the sheets, and we were only out a few hours!

Howdy San Francisco Tall ships adventurers,

I checked online for wind reports -- this was the report from the windtalker
at Third Aveneu at the west end of the San Mateo Bridge

2 pm: 15 mph average/ 18 mph gusts
3 pm: 15/20
4 pm 18/25
5 pm 19/28

Those numbers are onshore readings -- I've sailed my windsurfer a lot right
around there and there's usually at least 5-10 mph more wind out in the middle
in the channel under the high part of the bridge. So it's a fair guess that
it was blowing mid-twenties out in the bay, with gusts to over 35 mph.

When we finally launched at about 3:30 pm from Redwood City Marina and motored
out by 4:00 into that chop and wind out in the middle of the channel, I
decided it was the better part of valor to stick to the motor, especially
since I put Redwing back together in a hurry late Friday night so we could
take her out Saturday to see the tall ships. I didn't think it was prudent to
check the rigging for the first time in 30 pmh winds. I was impressed to see
Jon and David/Francesca sailing their P15's under reefed mainsail in that
mess!

There were at least three maydays in the Bay Saturday. I talked to the Coast
Guard Aux. who were docking at the same time we were and they said someone
drowned in that race at the Farallones and two big sail boats capsized in the
Bay up near bouys 2 and 4 in the shipping channel.

As soon as I get the photo's developed, I'll put them up on the web. We got
some stunning close-ups motoring alongside the tall ships as they returned to
port!

Regards,
Judy B.