Re: capsize

RSKARAM@aol.com
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:36:37 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/99 2:52:45 PM, MCRACKIN@aol.com writes:

>. But if you have to lash the
>centerboard down it sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Dear JackM
I've been sailing dinghies (Snipes & various other 14 foot -- 19 foot
open boats)
and a Venture 21 for about fifty years.
My P-15 is much more stable than an open dinghy. All of my previous
dinghies could be capsized with the centerboard down. The 100 pound
centerboard on the later model P-15's is more like a keel in that it gives
the boat so much stability that the manufacturer says that it can't be
capsized with the centerboard down. I believe them. When you have this kind
of confidence in your boat with the centerboard secured down, it is foolish
not to take advantage of this security. The few of us that have turned the
boat turtle have all accomplished this feat with the an unsecured centerboard
and a bunch of other problems.
The P-15 is a great boat for what you intend.
As you know, no sailboat can withstand an unlimited amount of
foolishness, and the P-15 is no different.
Good sailing,

Richard S. Karam
P-15 #2098 Oops (I named the boat "Oops" to discourage unwanted
guests)
Oklahoma City