Fw: capsize

de Ment, R.J. (bm2@sinclair.net)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:27:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <MCRACKIN@aol.com>
To: <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 1999 6:51 AM
Subject: capsize

> Capsizing is NOT a joy i wish to teach him. nor do i EVER want to be
dumped
> in a cold ocean. Please tell me -- is the Potter just another small
sail
> boat, upside down as much as rightside up

Sorry to sound harsh and forward, but capsizing is something you WANT to
teach your grandson. (It is a FUNdamental part of sailing lessons!)
Preferably in a small pram, also in a 'non-threatening' environment. (small
lake on a calm day next to the dock) The P-15 or 19 is not the boat to
experiment with, but knowing WHAT to do and HOW to do it, staying with the
boat, righting the boat if possible, etc. is an ESSENTIAL part of sailing.
"practically UN-capsizable", Key work practically. If it floats, it MAY
sink, if it flies, it MAY fall, if it's right side up, it MAY go turtle,
under the right conditions. Your <future> potter SHOULDN'T sink,(right side
up/down / torpedoed) provided it hasn't had it's flotation foam gutted out.
As we all know from our sailing experience, gotta keep an eye on everything
at once.

I just think that if 'the real thing' was my first experience capsizing, not
being exposed to it before, I would probably develop a phobia and never set
foot on another boat. Knowing the basics of the 'evolution' could really
mean the difference between life and death. Especially in places like here
(Puget Sound) where the water stays in the low 50's all year long.

Russ de Ment
borrowing grandpa's P-19
Silverdale, WA