Re: New Boat Questions?

theodore f. boyer (freelanc@execpc.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:07:37 -0500

--------------BC36A4C503C179C6FA4C8767

John,
Scott is right, the little stopper thing with the knurled nut (is called
a sail stop) is generally used above the boom to keep all the sail from
coming out of the mast groove, once the sail is inserted. Some gobs add an
additional sail stop below the entry groove, as promoted by the sail stop
mfg. and you'll probably buy a lot of those sail stops until you do
something like as follows:
1. Replace the downhaul cleat with a jam cleat and use only one sail stop
above the sail entry groove.
2. Place a piece of about 10-15mil thick x 1"wide x 3'-4"long plastic with a
paper punched hole at each end. One hole place behind the the knurled nut,
then upset the thread so that the knurled nut can't back off any more. The
other hole you attach about 18'-24" long small stuff (string) through and
tie it loosely around the the mast to avoid loosing the sail stop.
3. The topping lift and the boom vang (believe it or not) together, can and
will hold your boom at about the correct horizontal, until the the down haul
(jam cleat really makes it so much easier) is put into action for proper
sail luff, then you can ease off on the toping lift a bit.
4. If you can receive a FAX and are willing to provide your phone number for
it with the convenient time for me to send a FAX to you, there is a real
easy way to draw the rudder down with the line IM provides by the use of the
leverage from your tiller.
Ted -Milwaukee WWPotter19 Hull#0940 "Sea Breeze"