Re: First Sail / Wind Questions

Steve Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:13:12 -0700

Gordon wrote:

> There is a definite difference in opinion about partially raising the CB.
> Stanley Smith (in "October Potter") advises to leave it down, and that is
> my practice generally. Occasionally I will pull it up if I'm racing someone
> downwind, but the increased roll when encountering a wake often negates the
> advantage of reduced underwater drag. With my lateen rig I'm noticing
> substantial weather helm in strong winds, which might be reduced by angling
> the CB aft, but I will try sail and mast adjustments first to try to move
> the CE forward.

I found that helped a little, but what helped even more was to move the
weight of the crew, moi, aft, even all the way to the transom. I had
long sheets and CB line so I could still control everything. On a 14',
500#, boat, crew weight, forward or aft, has a huge effect.

As for the lateen rig, moving the gooseneck to the FORWARD end of its
range, (I forget the inches involved) has the effect of tilting the
upper luff end of the sail forward and this seems to more than offset
the other effect of the foot moving further aft. I know it seems
counter-intuitive, but it worked for me. I had less weather helm with
the gooseneck all the way forward (within its range.)

:)

Steve Barnes, now a lurker, temporarily sailing a Capri-16, #74, in San
Diego.
(former WWP-14 skipper)
OLDSURFDUDE