Re: wood screws into cabintop

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:16:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/99 9:51:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ej@blarg.net
writes:

> Judy, are you going to just run the screws into the lower layer of
> fiberglass and into the core then?
>
> I've been trying to figure out how I am going to mount my stereo - like
you,
> I have an older P19 without the factory place for it. I bought an 'under
> dash' enclosure for the stereo, but I'm skiddish about a bunch of new holes
> through the deck. I've thought of running a bunch of screws into (but not
> through) the underside of the deck so it doesn't pierce the surface. Please
> let us know ASAP if doing this presents any problems for you. I suppose if
> wood screws don't work I can epoxy in some threadserts from below, but that
> will make this far more of a project than I had in mind!

That's the plan, subject to any horror stories I may hear. From what I've
heard, it's a common solution to installing a fabric headliner.

I'll put screws through the inner layer of fiberglass and a little into the
core. I'll size the screws so that 2 or 3 of the full-diameter threads
pierce the inner fiberglass. The tapered tip of the screw will be into the
core. There's neglible load from the headliner, so that should be adequate.

However, your stereo has some weight to it. The fasteners w8ill be subject to
shock loading when you bounce the hull around. So you might want a sturdier
fastening method. You may want to use a longer screw so it goes into the
core further (but of course, not through the top.)

An additional method to consider:

You can coat the screws with PAM or Wax and put some epoxy into the holes
you've pre-drilled. That will greatly improve the strength of the
installation. When you want to remove the screws, the Pam/Wax should make it
possible.

The other way to remove fasteners bedded in epoxy is to heat the fastener
with a soldering iron. The heat softens the epoxy and you can get the screw
out if you work quickly.

Try experiementing on some scrap to see if you like these methods.

Regards,
Judy

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP19 #266 Redwing
(Rigged so a petite woman can solo)
Sailing on SF Bay, CA
(5-35 knot winds, 2-4' chop, 2-6' swells, and currents up to 6 knots)
Visit <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/jblumhorst/HomePage/index.htm">Judy B's
West Wight Potter Pages
</A>
and <A HREF="http://songbird.com/potter_yachter/">The Official Web Site of