Glue and cabin top holes [WAS: Re: New Gelcoat - Looks gorgeous.]

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 14:59:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/99 11:18:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
freelanc@execpc.com writes:

> Judy,
> The last time I put a VHF radio cable through the top liner, it seemed
> like a
> good rubber cement that was easy to work with. Is this the bad kind, for
the
> temperature your talking about?
> Ted - Milwaukee WWpotter19 hull#0940 "Sea Breeze"
>
> SolarFry@aol.com wrote:
[snipped]

> > Before you adopt Velcro... Check temp at which it comes unglued... Some
> of
> > them have a glue that comes off at over 125 degrees F. So If cabin top
> > reaches that temp the liner will fall off... Out here in FL in summer P19
> > cabin top reaches 150 degrees F. Make sure you use right glue!
> >
> > Good luck
> > SF

I don't know much about the temperature issue, Ted. It was Solar Fry who
raised the issue. I think he has a valid point.

Off the top of my head, I'd consider using Life Seal for running a cable
through the cabintop. It's a combo polyurethane and silicon bedding agent.
It's formulated for the marine environment, with good temperature and UV
resistance, long life, good flexibility and good adhesion (much better than
silicon alone). Or perhap consider polysulfide bedding compound.

However, if the cable is encased in polypropylene, virtually nothing sticks
to it. You'd have to read the product info or run some tests to see if your
bedding compound is gong to work. Polypropylene is the stuff that feels like
tupperware. You might have to run that kind of cable through a watertight
gasket fitting installed through the cabintop.

And I'd run the hole in the 3/4" high vertical wall of the maststep area,
rather than the horizontal wall.

Regards,
Judy B.