RE: Winch Question

Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:54:51 -0500

John,

When I motored my new P19 - #1067 around in the Alamitos Bay (Long Beach,
CA) before trailering it back to ND, I heard the same crunching. I thought
I was tearing out the whole raising system. I brought it back to the
factory in Inglewood and they discovered the winch was off center and cable
rubbing on the side of the drum was causing the sound, which of course
reverberated through the whole boat. They spent a good deal of time
enlarging, carefully, the mounting holes and recentering the winch. We
weren't able to fully drop the CB to see if their fix worked, but we dropped
it as much as possible and there was no repeat of the same sound.

You might want to crawl underneath the starboard quarter berth and see how
the cable is coming off the drum, as well as how smoothly it is wound up on
the drum. Either condition may cause rubbing, and that sound will be
amplified throughout the entire hull due to the blocks attached in so many
locations.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Spooner [mailto:spooner@gateway.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 5:05 PM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Winch Question

Hi all,
I've been sailing my new P-19 #1091 I keep it on a mooring so I don't
have to keep launching and retreiving and I do keep the centerboard down
while moored. My question is when I do crank on the centerboard it feels
hard to crank and I here a crunching sound in the transom area, is this
normal?
Cheers...John in CO