Re: Lightning storm precautions and procedures

Lee Page (megjac@prodigy.net)
Sat, 1 May 1999 09:43:44 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_01BE93B7.1A94A500

I've never sailed in waters where lightning was a worry, so I have no first
hand experience. It seems to me, however, that you would not want to
"invite" a lightning strike into the interior of your boat, but rather to
lead it off to the side, away from passengers and crew.

H.A.Calahan remarks in Learning to Sail (1933) that "...lightning need not
necessarily be dangerous so long as you keep away from the mast and the
shrouds." and "Lightning always leaves a boat above the water line". He
reports his experience when lightning struck the mast traveled down the
shrouds and jumped directly to the water without following the chainplates
or the hull. Of course he sailed boats constructed of wood, probably with
wood masts, where as most of us sail fibergalss hulls with aluminum mast,
which may make a difference - but I don't think I would do anything to lead
the bolt toward the interior of the boat, but rather out and over the
sides.

Lee Page in Sacramento, CA
WWP #602, "Archaeopteryx"